The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Intro to Mozambique: Matope Madness Namaacha style


Written November 15, 2012

I have been having trouble starting a blog here. I came into the Peace Corps with the intention of sharing my experience with my friends and family back home through this blog and it is now week 8 of training and this is my first post.

Let me start by gushing about what a great experience this is. I had heard that training is tough and frustrating but that has not been my experience. For me, training is incredible at the best of times and boring at the worst of times. The days are long (7:30 to 5:30) but the weeks fly by. It helps that my training group is fantastic. I have made some great friends already and I have been enjoying trying to know everyone in the group a little better by the end of training. The town of Namaacha is gorgeous, with green rolling hills in each direction and mango trees at every house. It can get very hot here which has us hoping for rain. Then it rains and we remember that we hate that because then there is matope (mud) EVERYWHERE! I go out to the bath house to take a shower and by the time I’m back in the house my feet are muddy again. That’s how much matope there is. My host family has welcomed me from day one as Mana Anneke (older sister Anneke) and I was lucky to have enough Portuguese and Spanish to be able to communicate with them right away. I dance with one host sister, do math homework with the other, and bake cakes with my host mom. Each day I am learning more and more Portuguese.

Being so content with my current situation made it hard to write. I didn’t know where to start when all I thought of was, “I like this and I like this and I love that!” Where’s the drama? Where’s the suspense??

But what made this post the hardest to write was the realization that I have only begun to think about what it means to live in Mozambique. So far, I spend a majority of my waking hours with Americans. We have 10 hours of class together a day. Add in a few hours of bonding time (ie. Jogging, walking, beers, Frisbee) and it takes up a good portion of the week. I do spend a lot of time with my host family but even then, I cannot begin to realize the importance of the cultural differences I am seeing. So that is why I am hesitant to write anything about what Mozambique is like. The truth is I have been seeing everything from a Namaacha bubble. We are close to South Africa and Swaziland, and Maputo in a place that gets colder than almost anywhere else in the country. It is nowhere close to representative of the country.  I don’t expect to know everything about Mozambique by the time my 27 months is over either, but I am open to learn as much as I can and I share it along the way.

So this is my version of a cultural disclaimer. I don’t know everything and I will try my hardest not to pretend I do. But I do want to share a bit about my experience and this beautiful country where I am living.   

No comments:

Post a Comment